Writer | Tutor | Professional poet in residence
Phone +61 0499 28 48 37 | Email Katie
As a festival, conference and event-based writer and poet in residence, Katie has been commissioned or supported by AsiaLink, Arts Centre Melbourne, Australia Council for the Arts, Incite Arts, Access2Arts, Marco Polo Festival of Digital Literature, NT Writers Centre, Footscray Community Arts Centre and Regional Arts Australia. Katie was poet in residence at Melbourne cafe Rue Bebelons from 2013-2015 (part of the Australian Poetry Cafe Poet initiative) and at Collective in Camden (UK) in 2010. A chapbook from this residency, ‘An Apology to the Librarian and other Camden poems’, was published by the London Borough of Camden in 2010. In 2018, she undertook an Asialink Creative Exchange with the Hong Kong Arts Centre. In 2019, she is the Artworks writer in residence at Adelaide’s Minor Works Building thanks to Guildhouse and the City of Adelaide.
As a writer, Katie’s poetry, non-fiction and advocacy work has been published by anthologies, magazines and blogs in Australia, the UK and online, including Right Now, Kill Your Darlings, Overland, JumpButton magazine, ABC RampUp, The Wheeler Centre Dailies, ThirdSector (UK), Artshub (Aus and UK) and NW5 Magazine (UK).
Katie has been a guest speaker at a range of arts and literary conferences, including the Emerging Writers’ Festival, Digital Writers’ Festival, Melbourne Writers’ Festival and FreePlay Festival in Melbourne, the Eye of the Storm Writers Festival in Alice Springs, and Kumuwuki Big Wave Regional Arts Australia Conference in Goolwa.
She is also an experienced peer assessor, writing tutor, workshop leader, editor, manuscript assessor, and literary judge for a range of competitions and prizes (including the Territory Reads Awards and the Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards for poetry).
- Editing (including thesis editing)
- Manuscript Assessing
- Writing tutor and workshop leader
- Digital writer in residence
- Literary judge
- Arts consultant for literary organisations
- Guildhouse / City of Adelaide Artworks writer in residence , Minor Works Building (February to October 2019)
- Insta Poetry: free digital poetry workshop (Saturday 6 July 2019, Minor Works Building, Adelaide, from 10:30 am – 12:00 pm)
- Thank Forum for Disabled Writers (Sunday 7 July 2019, Adelaide City Library, from 12:30pm)
- Katie offers a range of half- and one-day writing courses that can be delivered in your own venue at a time that suits you.