Non-profit & Cultural Consultant | Arts Manager | Writer | Trainer
Phone +61 0499 28 48 37 | Email Kate
Kate has more than 20 years’ experience as a leader and senior executive in the non-profit, government and cultural sectors in Australia, Asia and the United Kingdom – with particular expertise in the areas of arts and culture, governance, social justice, online communities, and increasing access for marginalised groups.
“[Kate is] an exceptional strategic thinker, an inspirational manager and an informed thought leader” – David Ryding, Director, Melbourne City of Literature Office
Working under her own name and that of her alter ego, Katie Keys, Kate is also a writer and professional poet-in-residence.
- Remote and digital workplaces: advice on how to set up, lead, train and manage your team remotely or online
- Fundraising: grant writing, income generation strategies, board giving, individual giving, donor readiness, applications and events
- Governance: board reviews, training and policy development
- Strategy: strategy days, away days, community consultation, strategic and business plans
- Cultural change management: organisational reviews and development, sector development
- Advocacy: community engagement, campaign design and delivery
- Production: design and delivery of projects, events and conferences
- Communications: writing, editing, communication and social media strategies
- Facilitation and training: workshops, strategy days, away days, conferences, panels and events
- Access and inclusion: disability equality training (with Gaelle Mellis)
Kate’s approach is the opposite of clean-slate consultancy. Rather, she undertakes collaborative work in sectors in which she both has direct experience and cares deeply about.
Recent clients include: The Relationship is the Project, Incite Arts, Contemporary Arts Precincts (for the Collingwood Arts Precinct), Blind Citizens Australia, NT Writers’ Centre, Serp Hills Foundation, Guildhouse, Country Arts SA, Access2Arts, SA Circus Centre, The Centre for Stories, Writers SA, Arts Industry Council of SA, Blackwood Books, Culture Scouts, Arts Access Australia, Melbourne UNESCO City of Literature Office, Create NSW, Mildura Writers Festival, Writers Victoria, Anywhere Festival, 2018 Meeting Place arts and disability forum, individual artists and authors (manuscript assessments and grant writing), PHD candidates (thesis editing), Footscray Community Arts Centre, 100 Story Building, Annecto, RADNO, and the Australia Council for the Arts (peer assessor).
- Kate offers a range of half- and one-day writing courses that can be delivered in your own venue at a time that suits you.
“Kate is extremely knowledgeable and has a friendly and open presentation style” – Adelaide workshop participant, January 2018
Kate’s professional history includes recent roles as Director/CEO of Writers Victoria, Co-Convenor of the Arts Industry Council of Victoria and CEO of Arts Access Australia.
Earlier roles include work in London (as Program Director of Shape and Arts Development Officer / Festival Coordinator for the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham), Western Australia (as Performing Arts Touring Manager of Country Arts WA, Front of House Manager at the Perth Institute of Contemporary Arts, and Communications Director of Eycon Studio) and Singapore (as Marketing Executive of the Singapore Arts Festival).
Kate’s full CV can be found on her LinkedIn profile.